PeopleTools 8.55 is the best Tools release yet, more intuitive, capable and with some dramatic enhancements to Fluid. Fluid UI was first introduced in Tools 8.54 and presented a new user interface with a responsive, mobile first design paradigm in mind. With Tools 8.55, the enhanced capabilities in Fluid include Fluid Dashboards, Fluid Master/Detail pages and the new Fluid Activity Guide Framework. With PeopleTools 8.55, the Branding Framework is extended to include the ability to easily apply the company’s brand to Fluid pages and components.
Here is a quick overview of some of new technical features for Fluid UI in PeopleTools 8.55 as captured during the exclusive partner only preview at Oracle PeopleSoft Partner Summit 2015 on Dec 1-3 2015 at Redwood Shores, CA. For details on how to adopt fluid and implementation considerations, please read the blog titled “PeopleSoft Fluid Presentation at KCRUG” posted by my colleague Tushar Goyal. http://blogs.beastute.com/peoplesoft-fluid-presentation-at-kcrug/
- Dashboards can display tiled content just like home pages, but also allow Tiles to display external, non-PeopleSoft content such as information from a BI system or an external website or application system.
- Flex-ible box approach – Tiles automatically resize based on the content they display, the size of the device being used, even based on the orientation of the mobile device.
- Tiles can be designed to reflect updated content based on actions taken elsewhere in the PeopleSoft system. Using push notifications, when data is updated by a different transaction or process or even in another tile, the change can be reflected in the data shown in a tile configured to receive these notifications.
Fluid Master/Detail pages
PeopleTools 8.55 introduces new page types that one can select from the Page Type drop-down list on the Use tab of the Page Properties dialog box.
- Side Page 1: A side page that users can slide in from the left of the display to view its contents. The Side Page 1 is typically used to display left navigation.
- Side Page 2: A side page that users can slide in from the right of the display to view its contents. The Side Page 2 is typically used to display related content for a component.
- Master/Detail Target Page: Used within the master-detail framework. The master-detail target page displays the application transaction page (the detail) that is displayed after selecting an item in the left navigation pane (the master).
- Master-Detail structures are conceptually similar to classic PeopleSoft WorkCenters in that they provide a navigation pane and pane for target content. The overall master-detail component enables navigation between multiple components.
- The collection of components represents a collection of work typically performed by a particular role, for example, with the navigational items appearing in the left pane. When users tap items in the navigation pane, the target pane displays the appropriate detail content.
- In upcoming PeopleSoft application images, components using the master-detail model will be available.
- Push Notification was first delivered in PeopleTools 8.54. It provided the ability for an end user to subscribe to events that occur on the server, and receive real-time notifications in the browser when those events occur on the server.
- With PeopleTools 8.55, the Push Notification feature is being extended. In addition to notifications being sent to the browser, end users may subscribe to events and have notifications directed to their Android or iOS mobile devices.
- Push Notifications will also support dynamic tile updates, when the data changes in real-time.
Fluid Activity Guides
Guided processes are a popular and powerful feature in PeopleSoft systems. PeopleTools 8.55 now provides a framework to deliver guided processes in the PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface with 7 different templates.
PeopleTools 8.55 supports multiple activity guide formats including:
- Horizontal and vertical presentation of steps.
- Sequential processes that must be completed by the user in strict step order as well as non-sequential processes.
- Guided activity guides that include Next, Previous, and custom buttons for navigation as well as non-guided processes and with all fluid tasks, all classic tasks, or a combination of both.
Related Content in Fluid Pages
Fluid pages can now be configured with related content displayed in the right frame or as embedded related content within the page itself.(This is in addition to related actions, which have been allowed on fluid pages since PeopleTools 8.54.)
Below screenshot shows the Related content frame at the right.
- A macro repository, including the ability to manage macros and macro sets.
- By changing macro values, you can easily and simultaneously change the colors, logos, and other images used in the fluid banner, the fluid-like header for classic homepages and classic pages, and certain attributes of fluid homepages.
Conditional Navigation Enhancements
In PeopleTools 8.55, the introduction of the OverrideConditionalNav built-in PeopleCode function (which replaces the now deprecated OverrideCNavDisplayMode function) provides greater specificity for ignoring certain attributes or all conditional navigation settings than was possible in PeopleTools 8.54.